A Rua da Indústria no Bairro Novo do Calvário

A Rua da Indústria em data entre 1962 e 1966
(Foto: Artur Inácio Bastos, Arquivo Municipal de Lisboa)

A Rua da Indústria nasceu pela deliberação de 12 de novembro de 1885, quando a câmara presidida por José Gregório Rosa Araújo atribuiu toponímia aos arruamentos do Bairro Novo do Calvário, sendo este topónimo uma memória da Alcântara industrial dos séculos XIX e XX  e parecendo muito a memória da  fábrica de metalomecânica do Conde de Burnay que desde 1874 se encontrava na próxima Rua Luís de Camões e desde 1882 se denominava Empresa Industrial Portuguesa.

Em 1885, a Rua da Indústria partia da Rua Conselheiro Nazaré (hoje, Rua Leão de Oliveira) até desembocar na Travessa da Tapada e hoje estende-se da Rua Leão de Oliveira à Rua Luís de Camões. Dois anos após a atribuição do topónimo, em 1887, iniciou-se a canalização da Rua da Indústria, a partir de um requerimento de Eduardo Nunes da Mota, que havia cedido o terreno para a artéria à Câmara do então concelho de Belém ( que existiu  entre de 11 de setembro de 1852 e 18 de julho de 1885). Cinco anos depois, em 1892, foi construída toda a rede  de esgoto do Bairro. Volvidos mais seis anos, foi colocado um urinol na rua, o que é indicativo de que mais gente transitaria por ela, e tanto a repartição da Câmara Municipal de Lisboa responsável pelas obras nos arruamentos como a Empresa Industrial Portuguesa propuseram alinhamentos para a Rua da Indústria. É mesmo por este pedido da empresa à CML que parece existir uma proximidade que poderia levar a Rua da Indústria a ser uma homenagem à empresa conhecida como Fábrica de João Burnay, por mor do nome do gestor, e que desde 1874 estava instalada na Rua Luís de Camões para em 1882 tomar o nome de Empresa Industrial Portuguesa.

A Empresa Industrial Portuguesa era uma empresa de metalomecânica, particularmente vocacionada para a construção de grandes obras,  fundada em 1874 no espaço que em 1880 se viria a denominar Rua Luís de Camões. Em 1881 a empresa tinha 200 operários, número que subiu rapidamente e em 1917, contava já 750 trabalhadores. Esta Empresa Industrial Portuguesa fornecerá material bélico aos Aliados durante a I Guerra Mundial e em 1920, foi integrada no grupo Companhia União Metalúrgica. O ferro que trabalhava era oriundo da Escócia e da Bélgica e o todo o seu pessoal técnico era estrangeiro.

O proprietário era Henry de Burnay (Lisboa – Freguesia dos Mártires/07.01.1838 – 29.03.1909/Lisboa – Freguesia dos Mártires),  de ascendência belga, nascido no primeiro andar do n.º 12 da lisboeta Rua de São Paulo. Foi Conde de Burnay por mercê de D. Luís I  de 7 de agosto de 1886, assim como O Senhor Milhão por cognome da imprensa da época, que  Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro caricaturou até com a legenda de «Compra, vende, troca, empresta, põe, dispõe, impõe, repõe, fia, fura e faz». Capitalista típico da década de 1880 Burnay era industrial mas também banqueiro e até falava com os trabalhadores grevistas da sua Empresa Industrial Portuguesa para tentar convencê-los de que a luta era absurda, argumentando que eles eram uma panela imensa de barro, enquanto ele, uma panela pequena, mas de bronze, acabaria por vencer.  Henry Burnay sujeitava-se  ainda à maçada de comprar votos para ser deputado – foi deputado em 1894 por Pombal  e em 1900 por Setúbal  – e organizava festejos comemorativos, tendo presidido aos centenários de Camões (1880), de Pombal (1882) e de Santo António (1895). O grande êxito empresarial do Conde de Burnay deveu-se a uma relação muito estreita com o Estado: Burnay servia de intermediário do Governo Português junto da banca internacional e este, adjudicava-lhe as grandes obras, já que na metalurgia, era das opções do Estado que dependia a prosperidade das grandes empresas.

Henry Burnay foi ainda representante em Lisboa da casa do belga Eugène Larrouy e com o representante do Porto, Heitor Guichard, fundou a Burnay & Guichard. Com o seu cunhado Empis e Edmund John fundou em 1875 a Henry Burnay & Cia, antecessora do Banco Burnay  de 1925 que tinha como um grande acionista a Société Générale de Belgique. Comprou também a Companhia dos Tabacos (1881) por três milhões e o Estado deu-lhe o monopólio dos mesmos. Participou na exploração de várias redes ferroviárias com a Real Companhia dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses assim como nas redes marítimas de importação e exportação, como a Companhia de Navegação Tétis. Colocou vinhos do Porto em Londres por ocasião do Ultimato inglês (1891) e participou em negócios tão diversos como a exploração do Palácio de Cristal (Porto); dos Grandes Armazéns Hermínios, Grande Hotel Central, Casa Havaneza e Lisbon Electric Tramways Ltd. (Lisboa); da Fábrica de Vidros da Marinha Grande, do Jornal do Comércio, de companhias mineiras e de exportação de produtos coloniais em África,  ou o Casino mais os hotéis e as termas de Vernet-les-Bains, nos Pirinéus Franceses.

O Senhor Milhões também iniciou a construção do bairro Camões em Lisboa, junto da Avenida da Liberdade, do lado contrário ao Bairro Barata Salgueiro; fundou a Sociedade dos Albergues Nocturnos de Lisboa e cedeu o parque do seu palácio das Laranjeiras para instalar o Jardim Zoológico de Aclimação de Lisboa.

Falta mencionar que a freguesia de Alcântara no séc. XIX,  era o pólo industrial da zona ocidental de Lisboa, como  Beato e Xabregas constituíam o pólo oriental. Alcântara contava com diversas fábricas de estamparia e tinturaria –   Fábrica de Pinto e Cª (1842), Fábrica de Centeno e Cª (1863), Companhia Lisbonense de Estamparia e Tinturaria de Algodões (1874),  Fábrica Companhia de Estamparia em Alcântara (1876) e  Fábrica de Anjos, Cunha, Ferreira e Cª -, de fiação e tecelagem, como a Fábrica de Fernando Daupias (1839) e a Associação Fraternal dos Fabricantes de Tecidos e Artes Correlativas (1858), de  metalurgia – para além da empresa Industrial Portuguesa, a Oficina de L. Dauphinet e Castay (1856) e a Fábrica de Garcia e Cª (1874) – e ainda, a Empresa de Cerâmica (1879) da Rua das Fontaínhas, a fábrica de tabacos La peninsular (1880) e a Fábrica União Fabril (1865), de velas, sabões e óleos.

Freguesia de Alcântara
(Planta: Sérgio Dias| NT do DPC)

#EuropeForCulture

2 thoughts on “A Rua da Indústria no Bairro Novo do Calvário

  1. Pingback: A Rua do poeta neoclássico Filinto Elísio | Toponímia de Lisboa

  2. The name Rua da Indústria came out of the City Council meeting of the 12th of November 1885, presided over by José Gregório Rosa Araújo, which allocated names to the streets in the Bairro Novo do Calvário. This particular street name commemorates the industrial nature of Alcântara during the 19th and 20th centuries and also seems to have been a reference to the metalworking factory owned by the Conde de Burnay, which was situated from 1874 in the nearby Rua Luís de Camões and which was called the Portuguese Industrial Company from 1882.

    In 1885, Rua da Indústria ran from Rua Conselheiro Nazaré (now Rua Leão de Oliveira) to Travessa da Tapada. Nowadays it extends further, from Rua Leão de Oliveira to Rua Luís de Camões. In 1887, two years after the street was named, drainage work was begun for the Rua da Indústria, in line with a stipulation from Eduardo Nunes da Mota when he leased the land for the street to the City Council of the Municipality of Belém, as it then was. (The Municipality of Belém existed from the 11th of September 1852 until the 18th of July 1885). Five years later, in 1892, the sewage network for the whole of the Bairro was built. After another six years, a public urinal was installed in the Rua da Indústrial, an indication that more people were transiting the street. The division of the City Council of Lisbon responsible for street works and the Portuguese Industrial Company both proposed lines through the Rua da Indústria. There seems, because of this request to the City Council by the business, to have existed a closeness between the two, which might suggest that Rua da Indústria was named in honour of the business, known originally as the João Burnay Factory after its manager, and located in Rua Luís de Camões from 1874. In 1882 it changed its name to the Portuguese Industrial Company.

    The Portuguese Industrial Company was a metalworking business which specialized in large scale works. It was founded in 1874 in the place which would later be named Rua Luís de Camões in 1880. The Company employed 200 factory workers in 1881, a number which rose rapidly, to 750 workers by 1917. The Portuguese Industrial Company supplied war matériel to the Allies during WWI and in 1920 it was amalgamated into the the group United Metalworking Company. The iron which was worked at the Portuguese Industrial Company came from Scotland and Belgium and all its technical staff were foreigners.

    The owner was Henry de Burnay (b. Lisboa, Freguesia dos Mártires 07.01.1838, d. Lisboa, Freguesia dos Mártires 29.03.1909) of Belgian descent, born at number 12 Rua de São Paulo, first floor. He was made Conde de Burnay by D. Luís I on the 7th of August 1886. In the contemporary press he was nicknamed Mr. Million and caricatured by Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro in a drawing with the description: “He buys, sells, swaps, lends, disposes, proposes, orders, repairs, spins, drills and manufactures”. Being a capitalist typical of the 1880s, Burnay was a banker as well as an industrialist, and even spoke with the striking workers of his Portuguese Industrial Company to try to convince them that their struggle was absurd, arguing that they were like an enormous clay pot while he, though a smaller pot, would triumph, being made of bronze. Henry Burnay also put himself through the rigmarole of vote-buying in order to become a Deputy – he was the Deputy for Pombal in 1894 and for Setúbal in 1900. He organized commemorative celebrations, presiding over the centenaries of Camões (1880) Pombal (1882) and Saint Anthony (1895). The notable business success of the Conde de Burnay was due to a very close relationship with the State: Burnay acted as intermediary between the Portuguese Government and international banks and the State awarded him major projects. Choices made by the State determined the prosperity of big metalworking businesses.

    Henry Burnay was also the Lisbon representative for the Belgian business Eugène Larrouy
    and, with its Porto representative Heitor Guichard, he set up Burnay & Guichard. With his brother-in-law Empis and with Edmund John he founded Henry Burnay & C° in 1875, the predecessor to the 1925 Burnay Bank, in which the Société Générale de Belgique was a major shareholder. He also bought the Tobacco Company (est. 1881) for three million and the State granted him a monopoly. He was involved in the development of various railways alongside the Royal Company of Portuguese Railways, as well as in maritime networks for import and export, such as the Tétis Navigation Company. He traded Port wines in London at the time of the British Ultimatum (1891) and was involved in diverse enterprises, such as the development of the Crystal Palace (Porto), Grandes Armazéns Hermínios, Grande Hotel Central, Casa Havaneza, Lisbon Electric Tramways Ltd. (Lisboa), the Factory of Vidros da Marinha Grande, the Jornal do Comércio, mining companies, the exportation of colonial produce in Africa, and in the Casino, hotels and spas at Vernet-les-Bains in the French Pyrenees.

    “Mr Millions” also began the construction of Lisbon’s Bairro Camões, next to the Avenida da Liberdade, on the opposite side from the Bairro Barata Salgueiro. He founded the Society for Night Shelters in Lisbon and leased the grounds of his Laranjeiras palácio in order to set up the Lisbon Natural Zoological Garden.

    It should be noted that in the 19th century the freguesia de Alcântara was the industrial hub of western Lisbon, while Beato and Xabregas formed the eastern hub. Alcântara had various factories for printing and dyeing: the Factory of Pinto and C° (1842), the Factory of Centeno and C° (1863), the Lisbon Company for Printing and Dyeing of Cottons (1874), Alcântara Factory of the Printing Company (1876) and the Factory of Anjos, Cunha, Ferreira and C°. There were also spinning and weaving factories, eg the Factory of Fernando Daupias (1839) and the Fraternal Association of Weavers and the Related Arts (1858), and there were metalworking factories other than the Portuguese Industrial Company, such as the Workshop of L. Dauphinet and Castay (1856) and the Factory of Garcia and C° (1874). Also, the Ceramics Firm (1879) in Rua das Fontaínhas, the tobacco factory La Peninsular (1880) and the United Manufactories (1865) which produced candles, soaps and vegetable oils.

    Gostar

Os comentários estão fechados.