A Rua da Quinta do Cabrinha e a Fábrica Cabrinha

Freguesia de Alcântara

A Quinta do Cabrinha, cujo topónimo radica num antepassado de D. Francisco Manuel de Melo, passou esse nome alguns séculos mais tarde à Fábrica Cabrinha da Companhia Lisbonense de Algodões  e ambas criaram no lugar a memória para fazer nascer a Rua da Quinta do Cabrinha em 1999, através do  Edital municipal de 9 de fevereiro, no arruamento situado entre a Avenida de Ceuta e a Rua da Fábrica da Pólvora.

Esta Rua da Quinta do Cabrinha foi um novo arruamento de Lisboa do final do séc. XX, a funcionar como um bairro, construído por iniciativa municipal entre 1998 e 1999, para realojamento de famílias oriundas do Casal Ventoso, num contexto de renovação e qualificação da cidade.

Mas indo ao século XVII vemos Alcântara, no Reguengo de Algés e próxima da cidade de Lisboa, a acolher a família real em 1605 e consequentemente, seguiram a instalação de várias quintas de nobres, como a dos Saldanhas, as de Diogo Mendonça e dos Caldas, a dos Carvalhos (depois chamada do Fiúza) e a Quinta do Cabrinha,  de D. Francisco Manuel de Melo (Lisboa/1608 – 1666/Alcântara – Lisboa), localizada na margem da ribeira de Alcântara,  na qual faleceu em 1666 este nobre, político e escritor, conhecido autor de Apólogos Dialogais ou de O Fidalgo Aprendiz.

O antepassado de Francisco Manuel de Melo de nome Antão Rodrigues da Câmara,  filho bastardo de Rui Gonçalves da Câmara e neto de João Gonçalves Zarco, era Cabrinha de alcunha, tal como sucedeu com Francisco de Mello Manuel da Câmara, que governou o Maranhão de 1806 a 1809,  por ser muito moreno e nestas alcunhas se originou o nome pela qual a Quinta de Alcântara acabou por ficar conhecida, segundo Edgar Prestage no seu D. Francisco Manuel de Mello – Esboço Biographico,  publicado em 1914 pela Universidade de Coimbra.

Em 1690, começou a ser construída próxima da Quinta do Cabrinha a Fábrica da Pólvora,  por iniciativa de Carlos de Sousa e Azevedo. A obra foi acabada em 1728 por António Cremer, que era então o Intendente da Pólvora do Reino. Esta indústria cessou as suas funções  após o Terramoto de 1755 passando a laboração para a Fábrica de Barcarena. Por outro lado, entre os séculos XVII e XVIII, nos terrenos da Quinta do Cabrinha foi criado o Páteo 149,  num edifício da Quinta, para acolher quem trabalhava na Fábrica.

Já em meados do século XIX, em 1874, foi instalada na Quinta a Fábrica de Chitas da Companhia Lisbonense de Estamparia e Tinturaria de Algodões, em dois edifícios imponentes, que foi designada Fábrica Cabrinha. Para os seus operários, que segundo o Inquérito Industrial de 1881 eram 65,  foi construído em 1878 um conjunto de habitações de três pisos, ao longo de 150 metros,  sob o nome de Vila Cabrinha. Esta situação foi também mencionada por Edgar Prestage: «Do lado esquerdo da estrada que vae de Alcântara a Sete-Rios encontramos uma quinta extensa plantada com oliveiras e chamada “do Cabrinha”, que é propriedade da Estamparia lá installada; foi comprada, ao que nos disseram, ao Sr. Joaquim José Anjos ha trinta e cinco annos [por volta de 1879] . » Mais tarde, esta Fábrica passará a ser propriedade da Sociedade Têxtil do Sul.

Freguesia de Alcântara
(Planta: Sérgio Dias| NT do DPC)

#EuropeForCulture

3 thoughts on “A Rua da Quinta do Cabrinha e a Fábrica Cabrinha

  1. Pingback: Do Largo dos Tanques à Rua da Cruz a Alcântara e à Rua da Fábrica da Pólvora, em 1919 | Toponímia de Lisboa

  2. (cont.)
    In 1690 the construction of the Gunpowder Factory was begun by Carlos de Sousa e Azevedo near the Quinta do Cabrinha. The work was completed in 1728 by António Cremer, the Inspector of the Royal Gunpowder at that time. This factory closed down after the 1755 earthquake and the manufacture of gunpowder moved to the Barcarena Factory. But between the 17th and 18th centuries Páteo 149 was created on land owned by the Quinta do Cabrinha, and indeed in a building of the Quinta, to house those who worked in the Gunpowder Factory.

    By the mid-nineteenth century, in 1874, the Chitas Factory of the Lisbon Company for Printing and Dyeing Cotton was set up at the Quinta in two imposing buildings which became known as the Cabrinha Factory. According to the 1881 Industrial Survey, there were 65 factory workers, for whom a set of 4 storey dwellings were built in 1878 over a 150 metre long stretch, called Vila Cabrinha. This was also something mentioned by Edgar Prestage: “On the left hand side of the road which runs from Alcântara to Sete Rios we find a spacious Quinta planted with olive trees, called “do Cabrinha”, which belongs to the Printing Factory there; it was bought, we were told, by Sr Joaquim José Anjos 35 years ago [around 1879].” Later on, this Factory became the property of the Southern Textile Corporation.

    Gostar

  3. The Quinta do Cabrinha, for which the origin of the name was an ancestor of Dom Francisco Manuel de Melo, passed the name on to the Cabrinha Factory of the Lisbon Cotton Company several centuries later. Both created the memory at the site for the creation of the name Rua da Quinta do Cabrinha, via the city council Notice of the 9th of February 1999, for a street located between Avenida de Ceuta and Rua da Fábrica da Pólvora.

    Rua da Quinta do Cabrinha was a new Lisbon street built at the end of the 20th century to be a Bairro or neighbourhood. It was constructed under a city council initiative between 1998 and 1999 to re-house families from Casal Ventoso, in the context of renovation and improvements in the city.

    But moving back to the 17th century, we see Alcântara, in the royal domain of Algés and close to the city of Lisbon, receiving the royal family in 1605. This was followed by the establishment of various country houses of the nobility in the area eg one belonging to the Saldanhas, some belonging to Diogo Mendonça and the Caldas, one belonging to the Carvalhos (later called Fiúza) and the Quinta do Cabrinha, which belonged to D. Francisco Manuel de Melo (b. 1608 Lisboa, d.1666, Alcântara, Lisboa). It was situated on the banks of the Alcântara River, and it was where this member of the nobility, politician and well-known author of the Apólogos Dialogais and O Fidalgo Aprendiz, died in 1666.

    An ancestor of Francisco Manuel de Melo by the name of Antão Rodrigues da Câmara, the bastard son of Rui Gonçalves da Câmara and grandson of João Gonçalves Zarco, was nicknamed Cabrinha because he was dark skinned, a nickname also given to Francisco de Mello Manuel da Câmara, who was governor of the state of Maranhão in Brazil from 1806 to 1809. The Quinta de Alcântara ended up being known as such due to these nicknames, according to Edgar Prestage in his D. Francisco Manuel de Mello – A Biographical Sketch, published by the University of Coimbra in 1914.

    Gostar

Os comentários estão fechados.